Printer Self TestsMarch 30, 2010
Most printers have a way of printing a test page. This page allows you to determine if the printer is physically working or not. This test is usually accomplished by holding down a series of keys. If you are not sure if your printer has this feature or how to perform it refer to your manual or visit your printer manufacturers web site.
In addition to testing the printer using the printer self-test Microsoft Windows users can also perform a software self-test to determine if their computer is able to see the printer and it’s able to print. Follow the below steps to perform this test.
Microsoft Windows 98, 2000, ME, XP, 2003, and Vista users
- Click Start, Settings, and open Control Panel.
- Double-click the Printers or Printers and Fax icon.
- Right-click on the Printer you wish to test and click Properties.
- In the Printers Properties window click the Print Test Page button.
- If the printer is able to print a test page, you’re printer is installed and setup properly. However, if you’re unable to print in other programs it’s possible that the program you’re attempting to print from has issues.